Graduates honored with departmental awards
Posted in News
On Friday, May 20 the department honored and celebrated the class of 2022 with a small reception for all of the members of the department, the graduates and their guests. At the reception, a number of students were honored with awards. Later that day Rachel Palmer was presented with the Milijevic award at the College of Arts and Sciences’ annual Tropaia ceremony. Below is a list of the awards presented and this year’s recipients. Congratulations to all of the awardees and graduates!
- MILJEVIC CHEMISTRY AWARD – Rachel Palmer The Miljevic Chemistry Award, founded in 1962 by Mrs. Nicholas Miljevic in memory of Mr. Nicholas Miljevic (C’34), is awarded for academic excellence to that student of the senior class who is majoring in the Department of Chemistry and has the best record in this field.
- COLLEGE CHEMISTRY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD CSW – Eero Korpela (Chemistry) and Rachel Palmer (Biochemistry) The student award of the Chemical Society of Washington shall be presented to a senior majoring in Chemistry/Biochemistry in recognition of outstanding achievement in college chemistry.
- AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF CHEMISTS AWARD – Amalia Cappuccino (Chemistry) and Jessica York (Biochemistry) The student award of the American Institutes of Chemists shall be presented to a senior majoring in Chemistry/ Biochemistry, in recognition of potential advancement of the chemical profession, on the basis of the students demonstrated record of leadership, ability, character and scholastic achievement.
- MARTIRE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY – Eero Korpela This award is given to the senior with the best performance in the two semester courses in physical chemistry. Named in honor of Prof. Dan Martire, physical chemist and former chair of Department
- ACS DIVISION OF ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY UNDERGRADUATE AWARD – Adrian Kalaw The Analytical Division sponsors an award to a rising senior each year which consists of a year’s subscription to Analytical Chem.
- ACS DIVISION OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY UNDERGRADUATE AWARD – Rachel Palmer The student has demonstrated excellence in organic chemistry at the undergraduate level based on any combination of research, course work, and/or motivation/interest/dedication as defined by the institution and should have future plans that include a career in chemistry.
- AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH IN CHEMISTRY OR BIOCHEMISTRY – Chloe Kekedjian (Chemistry) and Rachel Palmer (Biochemistry) This award is presented to recognize one or two seniors who have distinguished themselves as outstanding researchers during their undergraduate careers in the Chemistry Department. To be eligible for this award, students must have performed at least three semesters of research in chemistry or biochemistry, predominately focused on a specific project or area. Awardees receive a plaque and their names will be engraved on a large plaque displayed outside the Department office.
- MICHAEL T. POPE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN INORGANIC CHEMISTRY – Alexander Marwitz The award recognizes excellence in inorganic chemistry research, honoring Professor Michael T. Pope whose outstanding research contributions and mentorship touched the lives of many inside and outside of Georgetown. This award may be given once a year by the Chemistry Department at its annual reception in May to one chemistry student who has performed outstanding research that impacts the area of inorganic chemistry.