Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Mission Statement
The Department of Chemistry at Georgetown University is committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive environment for all students, faculty, and staff. As a community, we seek to advance academic excellence in scholarship and teaching through diversity. Guided by the spirit of Georgetown’s cura personalis we aim to foster a sense of shared experience and common purpose, along with a collective responsibility for each other’s well-being and that of the department as a whole. We seek to actively promote and champion a broader diversity through recruitment and retention. The Department of Chemistry is part of a globally interconnected network of scientists and educators, and we believe that cultivating diversity and collegiality are key to the success of all members of our department. We respect and welcome members of all racial, religious, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, and all sexual orientations, gender identities and disabilities.
Consistent with the statement we seek to foster DEI by:
- Advising the department in diversity, equity, and inclusion measures that will improve the climate of the department
- Recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff, and student body with the understanding that a diverse scientific community improves the quality of science research
- Providing opportunities for training and development through collaborations with campus partners
- Connecting people within the community to increase the broader impact of the research conducted within the department
Goals for AY 2021-2022
- Offer additional training opportunities for faculty, staff, and students through collaborations with IDEAA
- Finalize and release the full climate report administered in 2020
- Reach out to the community to provide established mentoring opportunities for high school students
Interested in learning more or becoming involved? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email Karah Knope (DEI Chair; email@example.com). You may also submit questions, comments, and/or concerns anonymously here.