The Department of Chemistry welcomes applications for admission for the Fall and Spring semesters on a rolling admission basis. Applicants should submit their applications and supporting materials via the secure, electronic application system maintained by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. All materials are processed through the Graduate School, and applicants should refer to the requirements set forth by the Graduate School on its website. Questions about the online application should be directed to the Graduate School (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Fall semester: The deadline for submitting a complete application for the Fall is April 1, 2017, but to be competitive, we strongly encourage an applicant to submit a complete application before January 15.
Spring Semester: Applicants who are available for spring admissions are advised to indicate so in their application and submit their application by September 15th. These applications will be reviewed earlier if there are openings for the spring semester. Otherwise, they will be considered for the following fall admissions.
The Department’s Committee on Graduate Admissions will review applications only when they are complete. In order to be complete, the materials listed below must accompany your application. Application information and requirements listed below serve as a supplement to the requirements set forth by the Graduate School; application requirements of the Graduate School may be found on its website.
- Personal Statement. Your statement—consisting of approximately 500 words—should outline your educational plans, should explain why you want to attend graduate school (particularly at Georgetown University), and should address what you would contribute and what you would hope to gain from graduate studies in the Department of Chemistry.
- Official Letters of Recommendation. You must arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to accompany your application. When completing the online application, you will be prompted to give the names and email addresses for those individuals who will provide a letter of recommendation on your behalf. If you are seeking to transfer from one graduate program to Georgetown’s graduate program, at least one letter should come from each graduate institution you have attended.
- Supplemental Data Form. You must submit the department’s Supplemental Data Form as part of the online application. If applicable, please account for any time since your graduation by attaching a resume or curriculum vitae.
- Official Transcripts. You must submit official transcripts for all post-secondary schools attended/coursework completed. Official transcripts should be sent to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, as is detailed on the Graduate School’s website.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE). You must arrange to have ETS report your GRE scores to Georgetown University (reporting code: 5244). While an official GRE score report from ETS is required, you may include a photocopy of your GRE scores with your application to expedite the review of your application.
- FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: English Proficiency Exams. All applicants who are not native English speakers are required to demonstrate a level of proficiency in the English language. Proficiency can be demonstrated by the receipt of a bachelor’s or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or from a university where English is the primary language of instruction. All other non-native speakers must achieve a minimum score on either the TOEFL or the IELTS. TOEFL and IELTS results will not be accepted if they were not achieved within the last two years.
- TOEFL. To be competitive, candidates taking the TOEFL should have a minimum score of 600 (paper-based test), 250 (computer-based test), or 100 (Internet-based test). An official copy of your TOEFL score from Educational Testing Services (ETS) should be sent to Georgetown (reporting code: 5244).
- IELTS. To be competitive, candidates taking the IELTS should have a minimum score of 7.5. An official copy of your IELTS score should be sent to Georgetown.
The English Language Proficiency requirement will not be waived under any circumstances. Refer to the Graduate School for more details about the English Language Proficiency Requirement.
- Application Fee. A non-refundable application fee should accompany the application. Applicants will not receive a Graduate School decision on their application if the application fee is not paid. The fee may be paid by credit card, check, or money order. For more details, please refer to the Graduate School.